Friday, August 3, 2007

Upgrading to latest clamav for impatient sysadmin :)


I've just upgraded clamav to the latest (at the time of writing is version 0.91.1) for my firewall (Mandrake 10.1). For impatient sysadmin like me, waiting for official packages to release might take longer than u might expect. So the best way to upgrade is by compiling from source. This was how I did it.

Stopping the service
It's advisable to stop clamav service before installing the new one.

service clamd stop

Downloading the package
wget http://freshmeat.net/redir/clamav/29355/url_tgz/clamav-0.91.1.tar.gz

Extracting the package
tar xzvf clamav-0.91.1.tar.gz

Configure...
cd clamav-0.91.1
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --enable-id-check --enable-dns-fix --enable-bigstack

Note: this configure arguments matching with the previous installation by rpm except for --enable-big-stack and --enable-dns-fix (I think).

Compile and install
make
make install (as root)

Restart the service
service clamd start

Updating the virus database definition
freshclam

Checking clamav version
clamav-config --version

No comments:

Second monitor no display after latest update - KDE-neon

 After latest update as of Oct 3, 2023, my second monitor was undetected with latest kernel (6.2.0-33-generic). If I boot with previous kern...