Happy New Year everbody. Hope 2012 will be a great year for Linux. In 2011, I tested several distros for different purposes. For routers, I found several free distros that serve as a really good gateway for my network. Among others are:
- Zentyal - this is the best distro for routers. Fully featured with webcache, url filtering, load balancing for multiple lines and has 32-bit and 64-bit version. It is based on Ubuntu.
- ClearOS - Also the best but it doesn't have 64-bit version (at the time of this writing. recently there's a 64-bit release but still in beta stage). Has many features as Zentyal. Based on Redhat.
- pfSense - this is not Linux-based. It is freeBSD-based firewall and router. It has bug with my servers pertaining to PCI-E. So I dumped it. It's good but the bug prevent it from being operational.
- Untangle - didn't try it because the free version has no webcache feature.
- Zeroshell - tried it but a little awkward to use.
So I chose Zentyal as my distro for my server router and info from its web, I need to add more RAM and bigger hard disk to serve more than 500 users.
Happy New Year everybody! Thanks for reading.