Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The easiest way to 'burn' iso to USB disk.

The easiest way to 'burn' iso to USB disk is by using dd command. Let's say you don't want to burn your newly downloaded iso to CD/DVD but want to use USB disk instead, you can run this command :

dd if=/path/to/file.iso of=/dev/sdb

This assumes your USB disk is /dev/sdb. You can use mount command to check what device your USB disk is using. Now you can install your new distro using USB disk.

Note: You can burn iso this way if the iso is of type hybrid. Read here for more information.

Have fun!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just start the Start up disk creator tool

يوسف said...

Thanks a lot

But first you need to be root by typing

sudo -s


and you can also check if it sdb or not by :

- plugging your USB

- Opening Disk Utility

as the following picture

http://im29.gulfup.com/2012-08-25/1345926394192.png

Unknown said...

I have a question. I am trying to get Linux Mint installed on my Sony Vaio laptop, and i was wondering how would I be able to Boot from the USB flash drive instead of the CD-Rom? Feel free to email me at openwaters84@gmail.com It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Zamri said...

have you tried the steps in my post?

Zamri said...

Jesse Mills, that will be good if you're in GUI.

redbikemaster said...

This post seriously saved me big time! I'm working on an essential system to go online in 10 hours, and didn't have a flash drive lying around. Thank you so much!

Zamri said...

Thanks.

Second monitor no display after latest update - KDE-neon

 After latest update as of Oct 3, 2023, my second monitor was undetected with latest kernel (6.2.0-33-generic). If I boot with previous kern...